Recorded in Ensenada, Mexico, I’m DADA sees Holy Wave refine their sound with a stronger sense of focus and purpose. Working alongside Lorelle Meets the Obsolete at El Derrumbe studio and longtime collaborator Joo Joo Ashworth, the band created an album shaped by themes of fatherhood, relationships, separation, artificial intelligence, and the challenge of staying grounded in an increasingly unpredictable world. For a group with deep ties to the U.S.-Mexico border, recording in Ensenada provided both a natural environment and a fresh creative perspective.
Musically, I’m DADA is Holy Wave’s most deliberate and rhythmically driven record to date. While retaining the band’s signature dreamlike atmosphere, the album embraces tighter song structures, hypnotic loops, samples, and touches of dub and cinematic downtempo. Tracks such as “dewey’s dirge,” “I’m DADA,” and “s33.u.in/HAL” balance immersive textures with emotional clarity, resulting in an album that feels less like drifting through soundscapes and more like carefully shaping them.
